[Evros, gateway to Europe 7] For MSF, the only crisis is that of a lack of political will
(B2, in Athens) Apostolos Veizis leads the operational medical support unit of Doctors Without Borders in Greece. He assures that he there is no crisis of refugees or of the reception of migrants, but a crisis of political management "...
According to the head of the NGO, everything has gotten worse since the signing of the facility between the European Union and Turkey in March 2016. The living conditions in the camps on the Aegean islands are getting worse and worse . " It's not the money that's missing. But the political will ". The one that should prevent thousands of men, women, children and unaccompanied minors from living in unworthy conditions, in the heart of Europe.
Change of rhetoric
The reform of the law on asylum, adopted in the summer of 2019 by the barely installed government, is perceived as a gesture above all political. We had to score. Go fast. Moreover, " she was adopted in four days weighs Apostolos. He castigates the discourse which has hardened. Which makes certain politicians only talk about numbers, the number of containers and no longer of human beings ».
Access to care hindered
The criticism against "the European Union (which) does not assume its responsibility is direct. Doctors Without Borders has also chosen not to receive European funds since 2016. political choice assumed. Which gives him the freedom to denounce today the restrictions on access to care imposed since last summer on refugees, including " seriously ill children ». MSF targets in particular « the Greek authorities (who) refuse to treat seriously ill children » on the island of Lesbos (1).
- See communicated aired January 23.
All the articles from our report [Evros, gateway to Europe]
- The Evros River, the other gateway for refugees to Europe
- Turkey is pulling the strings at the EU's external borders (G. Koumoutsakos)
- In Greece, the number of pending asylum applications explodes
- The reception and treatment of refugees under the pressure of the EU-Turkey agreement
- EASO will double its workforce in Greece
- UNHCR, guardian of the right to asylum, in a balanced position
- For MSF, the only crisis is that of a lack of political will
- Sharifi G. wanted to join his sister in Germany, he was imprisoned in Greece